How to choose a good builder for your new pool
Building a pool greatly increases the value of your property. Deciding on the shape, size and position of your pool is an exciting and delightful experience. Swemgat, being pool builders at heart, shares this excitement with you. We will work with you right from the planning phase, through to the filling, water treatment phase and cleaning, annual services of your life long investment in order to ensure that the whole family enjoys the beautiful pool. As building a pool is an investment, you should take the same care in choosing a pool builder as when making any other investment. That is why Swemgat wants to offer you the following pointers to consider before you sign a sales-contract for a new pool:
1. Established pool builders should have a office or showroom and a website with full contact information, making them easy to find, even when they are out in the field. Avoid those who merely work out of the back of a bakkie. All Swemgat’s pool builder franchises have an home office that they own.
2. They will be responsive to your inquiries and promptly return your calls.
3. If they are registered as a business with an established brand and brand identity, they will work hard at maintaining good relationships with their clients.
4. A good pool builder will offer a warranty for all work.
5. Good builders will give the exact costs of the pool and lay out how much money will be required at the different phases of building. They will not ask for a very large amount of money up front.
6. The pool builder must quote the full price and not ask for more if some problem arises. An experienced builder will foresee issues and quote separately for them.
7. They will have a list of the previous and current clients that you can choose from to call as a reference.
8. A builder that is good with his clients, will advise you on the best pool for your area and budget but will leave the final decision to you – you are after all the customer.
9. A good pool company will take full responsibility for all plumbing, electrical work and rubble or soil removal.
10. A good pool builder will not automatically use the cheapest material, but will select the best quality material just to save you costs.
11. Beware of the builder that makes offers that are too good to be true. You many end up paying much more in repairs and maintenance in the long term.
12. When companies advertise the length of the time that they are in business, do not automatically assume this as a good sign. Ensure that they have attended trade shows, educational seminars, etc. to stay abreast with developments in the industry. What worked decades ago, is not necessarily the best today.
14. Smart pool builders will do anything possible to save on your energy bills and will be informed about the latest energy saving devices. They will install equipment that fits the size and requirements of the pool. Ask specifically for energy saving pool pumps and filters.
15. Upon completion of the pool, a good builder will show you how to use installed equipment and offer some basic advice about maintenance and cleaning. Ask if they have a regular 6-monthly or annual preventative maintenance program.
16. A good pool builder will also spend some time with you discussing pool safety, such as a pool safety net.
17. The same is applicable if you want a heated pool. Ask if the pool company install solar and/or electrical heat pumps. Are the sales consultant able to explain the advantages and disadvantages in simple layman’s terms?
18. Good builders will provide an estimate of the duration of the building process and will work hard to keep to this.
Where does Swemgat build concrete pools?
In a 10km radius from the following shopping centres:
(1) Glen Marais Shopping Centre (2) Eastgate Shopping Centre in Kempton park (3) Centurion Mall (4) Irene Village Mall near Irene Farm Village Estates (5) Carlswald Lifestyle Centre in Midrand (6) Menlyn Mall close to Waterkloof, Lynwood, Garsfontein and Mooikloof (7) Brooklyn Mall near Groenkloof (8) Highveld Mall in eMalahleni, Witbank area (9) Bakenveld Golf course and Bakenveld Estate (10) The new Middelburg Mall in Mpumalanga.
Our standard payment terms for new pools:
25% Deposit on start; 50% on day of installation of concrete shell; Balance as specified in agreement.
Rock breaking activities are always excluded, but we can help you to find a suitable rock breaking specialist.
• 5 Years on concrete shell
• 2 Years on pools marblite or fibreglass lining (or as specified)
• All pools and spas should be serviced every 12 months by a qualified Swemgat pool technician
• Water chemistry should be tested every 6 months
• Equipment such as pumps, filters, chlorinators, pool heating systems ets. are covered by the manufacturer’s warranty